Saturday, March 04, 2006

Being There- virtually

I have been reading blogs on another site, and they are very different from mine in that the bloggers' topics tend to be more personal; problems are presented, advice traded, this sort of thing. Though the postings are read by hundreds (number of views are tracked and presented on the blog), there is a core group who actually initiated friendships by reading and responding to each others blogs, and this group seems to have created a nice little community of people who care about and support one another and have a good time in each other's company on a mostly virtual level. These people live all over the country, all over the world, actually. From what I have read there, they are a thoughtful, interesting, diverse and broad-minded group of people. This is probably the point at which I should say that I only read the posts and responses; I don't post there or respond to their postings. I'm a lurker, not an active participant, not because they have excluded me, but because I haven't taken the initiative to join the conversation.

It's interesting that though many of us think of maintaining friendships through face-to-face contact, these bloggers seem quite content to befriend each in the "virtual" realm. Although I've seen a few of them make reference to talking on the phone, and some have even met in person, it seems they mostly communicate by writing and responding to each other through their blogs. At first glance, it might seem a bit unnatural, especially to those of us who haven't lived our entire lives with the internet as an ever-present medium. But I can assure you, being a high school teacher, young people don't find the idea of doing a great deal of their communicating through new technologies strange or unnatural at all. What may seem less authentic, and perhaps inferior, to some of us because it is "virtual," is in fact complete reality to hoards of teenagers. And I think it's important to remember that for a very long time, before the telephone and convenient travel that's a given to nearly everyone now, people maintained longstanding friendships through snail mail and very infrequent face-to-face contact.

Remember pen pals? Round robin letters?

Another thing I've noticed among this blogging bunch is that there is a certain ambivalence about it all. From time to time they discuss whether blogging is or is not beneficial, whether the amount of time they spend blogging is inordinate, whether it's healthy, addictive, has improved their quality of life, that sort of thing. Responses to these posts vary from those who enthusiastically state that their blogging is an important and valuable part of their lives, to those who seem less convinced, to those who say they have simply got to "cut down" because the time they spend blogging keeps them from participating in the real world, pursuing other interests and hobbies, and has an isolating effect, although they all seem to have interesting jobs, rich intellectual lives, and friends outside of their blog buddies.

So, what do you think? Are friendships formed and maintained through blogging simply a new way of meeting people and being together? Then there's me, who only participates by reading their posts and responses- the virtual version of a wallflower :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiddo,

Oh Rosie, I don't know. The only blog I respond to is yours, and not that frequently, as you can see. I love the things you have to say every time, but I just don't have the time to do all of this. It astonishes me that others do, and I can only wonder and try to understand how they do it. I'm kind of obligated to read Angela's blog, but I never have. I don't even know the name of it, have forgotten it. Instead, she reads me funny things from her blog while she and Donna and I are doing our nightly ritual of hanging out in the puter room(which is also my bedroom).

It occurred to me when they were just starting to do this, that this is a migration of things from the old days. You know, when we were all starting to get pc's for the first time and finding out we could meet new folks anywhere in the world. Gosh. It sure was exciting and adventureous, wasn't it ? And it worked. We net new and nice people who we shared our lives with. We laughed and cried and thought and pondered and prayed. Then things started going badly. Our chat rooms began to be invaded by horrible individuals, and threat of viruses, bad attitudes and terrible consequences became routine. These days, if you go hardly anywhere to meet someone, you're sure to be walking into something like a sleazy downtown bar that smells like a very old ashtray, stale beer and everyone pisses where they stand. And they all want sex. Ooohh Baby.

So decent folks made up something else, you know, keep out the riff raff and have decent conversations and maybe establish real friendship. From my observations, they are being successful. Finding others to share our lives with in a meaningful way is one of the most difficult tasks we face. I believe at this time that this venue has exponentially increased our chances. Hooray for that.

Having said that, I have also noticed that there is something of an elitism feel to this, sort of cliqueish in a way. It seems there's this inviting they do, if you make the grade. Hey, why would I want to join an organization that would have as a member ? I have nothing against this, and maybe this one of the functions of the idea. Keeping out the riff raff, you know. Seems a bit antiseptic to me somehow. Also, observing the wimmen as they play, it sounds to me like a global Hen party. Oh, they write very good, are very funny and intelligent, no doubt about that. Yet I know at this point in my life that if I'm involved in a conversation with more than two women at one time, it turns out to be a hen party. That is really no place for me to be. Blogs seem to be high maintenance as well, like women, so I'm thinking this is mostly a girl thing, unless you're gay.

In summation, Blogs seem to be a good thing at this time. I surely hope people have the time of their lives with them. I hope no one ever has to go round lonesome any more. I don't think it is something that works for me, and I doubt you'll be visiting my blog any time soon.

I wish I could find the answer to how do they ever find the time...

Love,

J.

Anonymous said...

As my darling husband states, he only responds to YOUR blog. I'm not sure he even reads mine! (the crackhead) And he's terribly long winded, isn't he? Damn fool....needs to get his own, but it would be like pulling teeth to try and explain the wheres and whyfors to him. Argh!

It's interesting. I have found that in my "bloglife", I meet people who fall into the same catagories as in my "real life". There are folks who are just passing acquaintances...I find them interesting and nice enough, but they really don't make me "feel" about them. And then there are people who I meet and who I like, but who I wonder if they have really shown their true selves to me. And then, there are a couple of folks I've met who I would lay down in front of a bus for...no lie...they have become Just That Kind Of Friend.

The world, she is a'changin'. And truely, right now, my ability to meet REAL people is limited. So, I'm happy to have the friends I've made online.

BTW Rosie...thank you so much for your comments on my blog. It means a great deal to me that you read me!!!

Blessings.....