Friday, July 27, 2007

Sometimes there's magic


My daughter is here with me; she's asleep in the next room. She's an adventurous, grown-up woman with a husband, a home, a job, and a life completely independent from mine, but there are times when I look at her, and I still see the little girl who was my closest companion for so many years.

Last night, she lit up as she delighted in explaining the birthday gifts she brought for me:
A little nature box with a glass top and sides that she painted herself and inscribed on the bottom-"Put your precious finds in there, and you can look at them later. I have one myself."
Citrus incense- "Citrus always reminds me of you."
A miniature music box that plays "Imagine" when a tiny crank is turned- "Listen, Mom, can you guess the song?"
Tibetan prayer flags- "So you can let the wind carry your prayers"
Two books, one about peace and one about the origins of color- "So you don't already have this one? Whew!"
A small bag that is a replica of a Persian rug- "Doesn't it look like a magic carpet?"

Do you have times when you remind yourself to remember a particular moment, to memorize everything about it, so you can enjoy the memory of it over and over again? Last night was one of those times.

2 comments:

amandac said...

Hope you had a great birthday. Say "Hi" to Kara for me and remind her to keep updating her blog as I love reading it and finding out what she's up to all those miles away!!

PrairieHomie said...

Kara's visit was the best part of my birthday. I meant to nag her about posting regularly, but forgot to. I probably do enough nagging anyway- ha!
I'm reading a book with a Scotland connection, and it made me think of you, Amanda!