Thursday, December 22, 2005

Promises to Ourselves

When I decided to start a blog, I did it because it looked like fun and I wanted a format in which to produce writing outside of emails and the stuff I do for school. I promised myself I would keep it up until the end of the year, and that time is fast approaching. There have been times I have been quite inspired to post, and others (is this one of them?) when I've posted mostly because I thought it was time. From what I understand from others who do this, regular posts are essential, some even say that it becomes addictive. At any rate, it seems important to post in order to keep the conversation going. The trouble is, there hasn't been much conversation! This isn't intended to produce a "guilt trip." I hear from friends that there are readers who aren't inclined to respond, and that's fine. I must admit I had visions of provoking lively discussion and conversation via the web, but reality has since set in, and I don't fault anyone for not finding the time or inspiration to respond. That may say more about the blogger than the readers!

Keeping promises to ourselves is often more difficult than keeping those me make to others. I can withstand the internal pressure of disappointing myself far more easily than I can face the idea that I've messed up with a friend or colleague. A therapist could have a field day with that one. Regardless, I decided today that I'll try to continue blogging through the winter. Midwestern winters can be desolate times, even for the optimists among us; I certainly am tempted to fall victim to demons that lurk in the the dark and the cold. In my Creative Writing class, we talk about the restorative, cathartic, and transformative effects of writing, so I'll keep at it for now. Bring on the restoring, the catharsis, and the transformation! At least until spring, when I'll consider letting nature take its course and do that work for me.

I guess I should say something about Christmas! I'll be leaving tomorrow to visit my family in northwest Iowa. I'm pouting a bit, as I had visions of spending the holiday with my daughter in Austin, Tx this year. I miss her terribly, but alas, it wasn't in the cards for me this season. So, I'll drive west over the flat geography of Minnesota, conjuring up some Christmas spirit as I dip down into Iowa. I'll find myself back in my hometown and the bosom of my family of origin. There's a soothing familiarity in that place where I'm always welcome and nothing ever changes much. I'm sure that after the holidays, friends and colleagues will ask about my time off. Garrison Keillor, in his wisdom about the somewhat droll personalities of those of us raised on the Midwestern prairie, provides an apt response for this half-Norwegian woman who now calls herself a Minnesotan: "Can't complain."

My wish this season is that you may say the same, and Peace, to all.

4 comments:

Irina said...

Dear Prairiehomie,
Sorry I've been quiet, I got too preoccupied with my own blogging and also I was away on foreign travel. Don't get discouraged, keep on blogging and you'll get more and more readers. Spread the news among those friends who haven't learned about your blog yet. Have a great holiday season, be safe, and enjoy whatever weather you encounter on your travels, both literally and figuratively!
Gypsy.

PrairieHomie said...

Gypsy, I followed your travels through your blog- thrilling! I will continue the blog and see what I can do to promote readership. Thank you, so much, for yours.

Anonymous said...

Hey I am actually here- several days after you posted this blog, but I made it here.

BTW Cousin...I bet you drove right past good ole Worthington on your way "back home". The only time I drive down to see the (yours and my) old home town is to put flowers on the graves (geezzzz that sounds bizarre). You know my MOM (your aunt) HAD to buried "down there" so someone would take care of her grave... Well I go every Mother's Day and there has never been any flowers on my mom's or our Grandmother's! 70 miles north here in Worthington would have made it a bit easier!
lol
Hope your mom gets to feeling better soon. Arlene sorta keeps me up on what's happening.

Crazy older cousin Sue

PrairieHomie said...

Hi Sue- So glad you checked out the blog! Let me tell you a bit about my trip to LM this year...

Ronda called and said Mom was not doing well and I needed to get there ASAP.
On my way out of town, my alternator quit- 2 hours and $250 later, I'm leaving the shop of a truly kind and gracious mechanic who "worked me in."
Next, somewhere out in the middle of nowhere on highway 60 (watonwan county??), Officer Friendly gave me a $117 reminder to slow down. I thought about laying my sob story on him. I thought about crying, cuz I FELT like crying, but I didn't want to reinforce any stereotypes, so I kept a stiff upper lip.

I did think of you on the way back, really I did. I whipped into the McDonalds to get a Coke and thought, "I wonder where in this town my cousin Sue lives."

I'm sorry; I'll do better. I'm just no good at stopping while I'm doing that drive. Let's meet somewhere in the middle some summer day, for lunch. Okay?