Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New Boyfriend


Here's something that will lift your spirits. Isn't the human voice capable of making the most beautiful music, more beautiful than any manufactured instrument? Paul Potts will make you a believer. This guy just won Britain's Got Talent. I think there's a similar show here called America's Got Talent and I hope I don't have this confused with Pop Idol/American Idol or one of those other t.v. talent shows. Anyway, Mr. Potts, who works for a cell phone company and has always loved to sing, just won the competition. The way the clip is produced is a little on the cheesey side, but it has the best sound quality I could find.



I'm a sucker for beautifully sung opera. It always brings me to tears, and this was no exception. I'm no opera oficionado, but I am familiar with this aria and love it. It's from Puccini's Turandot and is called "Nessen Dorma." There's something about this man's humble demeanor that adds to the charm of his performance.

Brian Lamb just lost his spot as my boyfriend. I hope he isn't too heartbroken.

In case you're interested, here's the great Pavarotti singing the same aria.
">
Considering the years of training and professional practice Pavarotti has on him at the time of this recording, I'd say Paul Potts' performance is pdg. You?

2 comments:

Lady Cayt said...

Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful performance by Paul! I stumbled upon your blog when I googled the "Gi Mig En Dag" ("Give Me a Day") song for a friend. I forgot how beautiful opera can be. (funny, since I'm a trained singer) :) Anyway, thanks for sharing!

PrairieHomie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Leigh, and thank you for commenting! I too was thrilled by this performance. I also love the "Give Me a Day" melody-- hear it each day when I listen to Writer's Almanac.