Thursday, August 16, 2007

Woo hoo!


A little over a week ago, I bought a lap top. Today, I installed a wireless network at home. Now, I'm imagining being able to sit...in my living room, or in bed, or at a wired coffee shop, and lots of new places to grade creative writing student assignments submitted to the online program we use at school. This is a very exciting prospect, as there have been times when the walls of my home office have closed in on me while reading and grading those virtual piles of student writing.

I'm a bit amazed by all of this, as I'm not very tech savvy. I think I'll take it as a sign that my life is meant to be easier. This completely discounts the absolute nightmare I endured obtaining the "deal" I got on this equipment. Seriously, the fiasco meter was approaching ridiculous...and now I wait for the rebates. Let's hope the memory of the experience fades fast, while I sit back and enjoy the fruits of Circuit City hell.

The other day, I laid my tiny cell phone next to my little lap top and thought about how much less space these devices occupy than just a few short years ago, when a clunky wall phone hung next to a big ol' desk top computer. What a world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rox,

Good to see you in print again. Congratulations on your new laptop, and I hope it's compatible with your other tiny desktop thingies. Sorry, they call them "tiny desktop units" or whatever. Gotta be in vogue as much as we can with social terminology, I spose.

I've complained about some of modern technology, rightfully so, yet there is the reality that some of all this rush to convenience makes some sense. I've finally gotten used to having a cell phone, and it is quite useful and convenient as long as damned boogers don't call me. Since they can't know who and where the hell I am, they can't get to me. So far.
The family members hardly ever call, and they can. Why is the egg always the wrong side up ?

Wanted to mention that most anything I've ever written on computer and saved is now gone forever. I love writing on computer way more than pen and paper, and write more often that way. Trouble is, of seven years of writing on computer, I have about only ten precent of all that. And that much is still in jeopardy. The reason is that no electronic type media can save anything for good, at this time. Nothing can do that. On the other hand, I have college papers and journals from thirty five years ago safe and sound. I have my grandfather's first property deed from something like nineteen thirty. I have my original birth certificate.

I wish I could get back all I have lost, yet feel that I'd not lost so much if I hadn't been inspired to make so much in the first place. Bless these things or damn them, but do it quickly because there's hardly any way to turn back now.

J.

PrairieHomie said...

Yes, the convenience thing. The computers were supposed to make our lives easier, but the demands of our jobs seem to have grown to fill in the easy places. Without computers, it would be physically impossible to do my teaching job the way "they" want it done these days.
"Tiny-ness" and supercapacity at the same time- it has certainly changed the world forever.
My favorite thing about all of this is Internet searching. I saw a woman on C-Span briefly explaining her research, and within minutes I Googled her and voila!- the complete report. Then I looked up a bug I found in the apartment.