Sunday, September 02, 2007

Skoo Pome



My students
I shouldn’t call them “my”
They don’t belong to me
I only borrow them for a short time
And life is long.

The ones who sit in the back,
The ones who ask me why why why
do we have to learn this STUFF?
The shy smile
Never raising a hand and
Ducking slightly, looking at the desktop
when I’m looking for an answer,
Or sitting in the very front
And hating it.

Chatterboxes
Jocks and techies
Fashionistas
Intellectuals
Geeks and Goths
Drama queens and emos
Sick dudes
Good kids
The Popular People.


The one who talks with her hands,
The one who sleeps in class,
The one who saw me in Target
the day I looked like I just crawled out
from under a rock and said,
“You look different when you’re not in school.”
The one who keeps secrets of the secret war,
The one who called me a bitch to my face,
Almost.

BST
MCA
SAT
ACT
NHS
NWEA
NCLB
AYP
EBD
ADHD
ODD
ESL
BFD
WTF
TMI

Cell phone
iPod
IM
Email
P.ersonal D.igital A.ssistant
Blue Tooth
WiFi
Laptop
Log in
Password
Copy code
Lunch PIN
Smartboard
Google
Moodle
Turnitin

FAQ

Here’s a book,
where’s my chalk?

No comments: