Saturday, September 01, 2007

Just Made It



Sometimes I write a poem when I'm supposed to be doing something else. This morning, I almost missed the peace walk because of it. I got there in time, but I looked pretty ratty. I barely got a chance to run a comb through my hair (my mother used to say that, "At least run a comb through your hair!") before I grabbed my sign and rushed out the door to pick up my friend Heidi. Good thing I wasn't headed to a beauty contest- ha!

Here's the poem:

Forgetting

I look out the window to see the petunias
bob their heads in agreement with the rain.
There’s a birdfeeder under that morning glory vine,
but you’d never know it. In the winter,
when snow piles halfway up to the top,
I remember the vine, and think,
“Nah, that doesn’t happen.”
It’s five-thirty, and I remember the summer
light staying until almost ten.
“That doesn’t happen either,” I tell myself,
“maybe nine, but certainly not ten.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opening Day

Roll Tide is what you say here
Shout and hold your arms up high
Touchdown!
I holler back
Cause everyone is so loud
My Moose can't hear


Game food smell fills our stadium
Little den in South America
Southern America
Spiderman snacks and a Moose
Plates are proffered
Shrimp and sausage and potads
Enough for anyone who would eat

It is not the game and hollerin'
Isn't the food or Moose
It's the whole family here hollerin'
Feeling brown as you look
I'm three from the beach
I have a moose and a fork and a cup
Game On

Nate

PrairieHomie said...

John, is that you? Sounds like a big time, watching the Bama game!