Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Anyone?

No one is reading my posts; at least no one is commenting. Could be because I haven't "advertised." I understand a new blogger must build an audience by letting friends and acquaintances know one has started one. Suddenly, this seems like a lot of work. Maybe it's because I don't have anything interesting to say, but I prefer to think it's the former...
I do marvel at the technology that allows anyone to "publish," but I also realize there's such a profusion of blogs, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Had an interesting meeting at school today. The English department met to discuss Minnesota's new writing competency test. The old test was administered in 10th grade and called the Basic Standards Test- a test required for graduation. The new test is also required for graduation, but we are told the rigor will be greater in the new one, although it will be administered to freshmen. Also, it is expected that 30% of kids will fail the first time (percent of students who passed the BST the first time was around 82% at our school). Both tests provide retake opportunities, but does there seem to be something wrong with this picture? The general public won't understand the difference between the old and new tests, and I can see the headlines now: "Steep Drop in Writing Test Scores!"

And what about the kids? With far more missing the "first cut," are we going to provide tutoring and remediation to writers who need (have always needed, regardless of the method of testing) more help before they test? Apparently not. We have provided a writing lab for kids who haven't passed the BST the first time... after they fail. Arghhhhhhhhhhh!

1 comment:

PrairieHomie said...

The little thrill I felt at the sight of your comment (the first on my blog) supports the irony of your statement. How intruiging, to have a perfect stranger be the first to respond.
I'm new at this and what probably should have been obvious just occurred to me: to encourage posts, I should respond- ha!
So, thank you, thank you, Esmerelda, you made my day!