Friday, November 18, 2005

Night- Poetry for the new unit

Our next unit in Creative Writing is poetry. I try not to ask the kids to do something I'm not willing to do myself, so here is mine for today-

Night

My uplifted palm cradles the pale,
full moon that is your face.
I find my heart and tell it now to go.
Go now, into the vast, velvet sky.

I am lost but unafraid.
I follow like a pilgrim, rising,
knowing and not knowing,
tumbling, singing, swaying to familiar rhythms.

Who has seen it? Artists? Shepherds?
Drowsy mothers keeping watch?
A silver-lit breeze blows through,
calling to sinking spirits.

I am awed by the stillness,
charmed by the softness of the silence.
Wandering and wondering,
leaving and coming home.


Anyone out there enjoy writing a verse now and then? Let's have some fun and share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very touching. Keep writing along with your students. Beautiful how your inner self comes out, Rox.

PrairieHomie said...

Thank you for your comment. I am going to do my best to keep writing with the kids. Sometimes it's difficult to create the right mood when I'm tending to all the other things that come along with teaching, so thanks for reminding me of what's important!