Saturday, November 26, 2005

Friends and Family

I traveled to visit a friend for Thanksgiving. I have known this guy since he and my daughter where friends in high school. Considering that on an ordinary day we reconnected, after not having been particularly close and not having thought much about each other for years, speaks to the fact that timing is everything, and life is completely unpredictable. Our friendship took root while I was contemplating going to school and later, he joined me in Iowa City, where we shared an apartment for three years. The relationship has been a mainstay through our individual triumphs and trials. He is one of a few people outside of my family who has taught me, by example and experience, what it means to love another person. We are an "odd couple" in friendship and share a bond that I can say without hesitation will never be broken. We understand each other. We have celebrated Thanksgiving together more often than apart for the past ten years, and this is fitting, since Cory is someone to whom I am endlessly thankful for his love and understanding.

Shortly after I got home, I heard from my daughter, who had been caving in a remote area of Mexico. She was at the border, safe and sound, heading back to Austin after having a wonderful adventure with friends. I worry about her when she's caving; in fact I experienced a near panic attack thinking about her and her safety the night before last, just as I was falling asleep. I literally forced myself to change my thoughts and see her smiling face, sitting at a campfire with her caver friends, swapping stories about that day's adventures. I love my spirited daughter, and when she was injured while canyoneering in Mexico just over a year ago, I learned (again) the terrifying lesson that no amount of love and concern can protect those we cherish from life's dangers or vicissitudes. So, every time I hear that she has returned from one of her caving quests, I breathe a sigh of relief, marvel at her courage, and.......call Cory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving, for giving so much of you. Thanks for giving, for giving to my life what it lacks. Thanks for giving, for giving without having to think about it. Thanks for giving, the gift of you.

I think it should be "Happy Thanks-for-giving day." I think it inspires a deeper thought of what exactly is our point during the holidays. Everyone should try it, "Thanks for giving....(fill in the blank)." I think it helps get the most out of this holiday.

Love ya' like no other.
-Cork

Anonymous said...

I don't understand Thanksgiving. What is the point of it? Surely 4 July is "America Day" so why do Americans have another day? Not to mention that you'll be tired of eating turkey and all the leftovers come Christmas!!