Saturday, November 12, 2005

First Post

Recently, I've run into people who are blogging. Many times I read these blogs and admire the profundity expressed by these seemingly ordinary people. At other times, I've pondered the idea that technology has enabled nearly anyone who can type entrance into the group of souls known as writers. Prior to the technology of the blogosphere, it was, in general, a specialized and elite group who were allowed to make a widely distributed contribution to human discourse. Now, everybody's a writer. For the most part, I like the idea.

I'm teaching a creative writing class this year, and I thought this might be a good place to practice what I preach to my students:
How does one become a writer? Write. How does one get better at it? Write. And reflect. And then do it again, and again, and again.
But to lower expectations (my personal method of preserving self-respect) I named the blog "A Box of Rox," as in "dumber than.." Clever, yes? No earth-shaking revelations, brilliant ideas or genius of expression expected here. And of course the thoughts do come to you from this box, of sorts, and my name is Rox...

I want to invite, encourage, (beg?) any reader to contribute to the conversation. As I also tell my students, "Without a reader, it's ink on a page, kids. " Don't you agree?

4 comments:

Irina said...

I love your box, Rox! That's thinking out of the box, literally and figuratively:) No, seriously, I think it's a marvelous idea for the blog name.

Anonymous said...

Test Post

Anonymous said...

Test Post

Anonymous said...

Test Post