Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Circle of Life

My 86-year-old mom is very ill as I write this. Her heart is failing, but she hangs on to life. She told me yesterday she's not afraid to die. It's complicated to have a conversation with someone who knows the end of life is near, and when it's your mother, it becomes even more complicated. I think of myself as a person who's quite straightforward emotionally, yet I catch myself wanting to contradict her when she talks about her death. I come so close to saying things like, "You're a strong woman, Mom, you will be around for quite awhile." But I don't, because we both know that would be dishonest. And I wonder how it feels to be her, to be in the place where people no longer say those things.

I'm a great aunt again too, and my brother Steve is a grandpa! My little brother Steve! Anna Ruth was born today. She's named after my mother. I wonder if, when my mom sees a picture of her, she will think this baby Anna was born to take her place on Earth.

Little Anna's got some big shoes to fill.

No comments: