Monday, January 16, 2006

What a world

Remember when it was cool to be "wired"?

There is an interesting article in today's Washington Post about the ways we control the demands that communication technology places on our lives. Interviewing several people, most them far more "connected" than I am, the writer discovered the various, quirky rules people impose to control the demands this technology places on their lives. One man said he takes no communication devices onto the golf course; another woman said she stopped taking her Blackberry to bed after it caused a relationship with a boyfriend to break apart. I thought, "Good grief!" A researcher calls the seemingly irrational rules we make for using these gadgets a "neo-Amish pattern. " In the same way that the Amish have very specific and, in the view of many outsiders, very inconsistent rules for using modern conveniences, the rest of us have developed rules for using digital media.

Then, I realized I have some similar rules of my own:
I don't do personal email from work.
I have voice messaging and caller id on my line at home, and I use it. I don't pick up when it isn't convenient, or when I don't feel like talking. Even calls from friends. And it makes me feel a little selfish, at times.
I had call waiting 15 years ago, when my daughter was a teenager. Being a vigilant mom, I never wanted to miss a call from her for any reason, but after she left the house I got rid of it. The last thing I want to do is juggle two calls when the service will take a message.
I have a cell phone, but it's one of those pay-as-you-go jobs. I rarely use it when I'm not traveling, and mostly as an emergency phone.

I don't have a laptop, a Blackberry, an i-pod, or a Treo. I've never sent a text message or taken a picture with a cell phone. I don't walk around with any kind of plugs in my ears. I have to admit, my budget has kept me from buying and using any of those gadgets, but I think that may be a good thing.

I do spend my fair share of time at home on the internet, and within the past year I switched to DSL because I got tired of receiving phone messages that said, "You must be on the internet again..." even when I was out living a real, rather than virtual life. So I'm not claiming any high ground here.

We all mitigate the demands of these technologies in various ways. I am fortunate I don't have a job that asks me to be on call at all times. I do my share of work at home, but it's a solitary endeavor that doesn't ask me to be in touch with anyone but myself when I do it. I live alone, no spouse, no kids, no need to negotiate the ins and outs of their technology wants or needs. I only deal with my own standards when it comes to this stuff. I'm lucky.

Have you imposed any rules on yourself regarding your use of technology? Do tell!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie,

It's so damned good to know and spend time with an old fashioned grille. I feel the same about everything you say about these damned insufferable contraptions, save for the safety element. Meaning, I sure would need to have you or Ash or Rhiannon(Wimmen and daughters, who are now wimmen, much to my chagrin) to have a cell phone if they broke down in the middle of nowhere. That kinda important stuff. The rest of it is Techno-ego psycho crap.

I was dropping the boy off at daycare the other day, and noticed the car parked next to us had fuckin' TV's on the back of the seats for kids to watch. At first I thought, " How cool is that ?!!! " Then I thought, "Jesus Fuckin' Christ." Whatever happened to the drive, and seeing landmarks, and skies and birds and water and wind and fire...

Maybe they'll finally have to install devices up our asses that will buzz or shock us to remind us that we're getting sunburned or something. Maybe we'll get yet more free or required psychotherapy so that we can march along with the rest of the Amerikan undead and wait patiently in line for days to get tickets to enjoy our coveted next visit to our local Behavioral Modification Center.

Here's something I found out innocently in the early days of computering and cell and ad nauseum : When the fucker pisses you off, all you have to do is unplug it. That's it. That is the greatest wisdom that exists on this planet today. There are still pens and paper and postage stamps everywhere. There are still books. There are still many folks alive who enjoy reading and writing, and many who would love to be able to do these things, if they could only know how. I still drive almost entirely with a stick. I tried to drive an automatic and almost wrecked.

And I send this on a goofy, modern thing called, "Blog" no less. Doesn't this make anybody a little nervous, like eating the bread of sorrow just before some savior rolls it out on his fat, wine-soaked lips that this is why you're drinking his blood ? Hey man, I'm not that messed up, just thinking as I go along.

When I was still working in the Aerospace industry, we got a contract to build these contraptions to help a plane steer. You don't usually get to find out too much about what you're building, but this time we got pretty curious. This time they didn't mind telling us, because it is something most all planes had at the time. What the contraption does is help a plane steer on the ground when other systems would not function. Mind you, the planes had five different computers and assistance from them to make a plane steer. Each computer was independent, so that one could not fault another. Yet, they needed to be able to steer the plane just in case none of the electronics worked. It fit into the side of the door on both the pilot and co-pilot side. If the plane could not steer, this lever would flip out and they would start cranking like hell. It's an awful time to change batteries.

Learn how to pump and carry water everyone. Learn the beauty of making candles. Let your pen and paper once more kiss and make love. Pay special attention to your horses and mules and Carrier Pidgeons, and remember that Colombus got three thousand miles to the Galleon.

Hey, I really am trying to get this damned thing into gear, but I can't find the gears and my left foot keeps hittin' the brake...

Just John

PrairieHomie said...

So, Nater's Papa, DO you have any silly, self-imposed rules to regulate your use of technology? If I know you the way I think I do, you'll say there are enough rules as it is, so to h-e-double hockey sticks (had to say that to validate my Minnesota parking) with making more.

PrairieHomie said...

I am the lucky recipient of your old school ways- LOVE the snail mail notes and cards. You are the best; you gotta know it.