Monday, July 17, 2006

One of These Days, Alice

I've posted about this in the past, but it's still happening and I'm stuck about how to deal with it. There are people in my circle of family and friends who have very different political beliefs from mine. I think they're wrong, or misinformed, often buying into ideas against their own self-interests, and I take the opportunity to tell them so... if they "start it." Or if I'm asked. By "starting it" I mean if they spout their opinions, I take my turn and spout mine, but I don't steer the conversation toward our differences, lecture out of the blue, or forward emails that circulate among my fellow lefties. Mostly because I love these people and prefer to focus on what keeps us close rather than what might divide us. I'm nice like that.

However...it bothers me that some of my contacts send me emails (usually forwards) that are blatantly political, and so obviously not "me" that I can't help but think they're trying to make a point. Ick. Because I'm nice, I let it be. I delete the mail without a response and focus on the other things they send: cute pictures of family babies or pets, funny commentaries about the silly things we all struggle with, regardless of our politics, inspirational messages, stuff like that.

Why? Because I really don't want to create a problem where there doesn't have to be one: I think there are enough polarizing divisions between people in this world, and I don't believe for a second that a forwarded email is going to plant any kind of seed or better yet, magically turn them into believers.

I do send an occasional reminder that I have a blog and invite people into conversation here, but, as you can see, that's pretty much ignored by everyone- ha! And that's okay, I blog because I like to write and I want to practice what I preach to my students about writing for practice and pleasure. To me, writing a blog is different than forwarding a mass email. If they want to start a blog and take the time to write about what they think and how they feel, I think they should show the world their chops.

So, I sit here and wish they'd stop it with the forwards, feeling angry about their lack of consideration, wondering why they haven't considered how they'd like it if I turned the tables and started forwarding them my "stuff." Believe me, I could load 'em up with material that would argue against the shallow thinking contained in those forwards and rage against their hate machine, but I don't. Though sometimes, just to soothe my wounded ego, I concoct a fabulous response and dream of reigning supremely victorious over their inboxes. How passive-aggressive, what a whimp. Maybe, but I'm supposed to be the peacenik here, and I prefer to think of it as maintaining good relations between those of us who should be loving and caring for each other.

But one of these days, Alice, one of these days...

No comments: